Friday, June 5, 2009

Wow!

This week I completed my MFT Charity Swap on Splitcoaststampers. I love to do volunteer work, and was raised to serve others in our Christian faith. Sometimes we can become so bogged down and saddened by the things we see everyday - the poor economy, the crimes of utter desperation, that we miss the truly beautiful things in life.

My swap was a 3+1 swap, in which I donated every single one of the cards I would normally have kept as swap hostess. My swappers had the option of recieving a swap return or donating their return cards to the charity as well. I also got several PMs from people who did not want to join the swap, but wanted to donate cards anyways!

I was heartened by the beautiful cards that poured in and truly in awe of the generousity of swappers who sent in extra cards, simply donated cards, and asked for nothing at all in return! It was amazing to feel my heart swell with happiness over the sweetness and goodness that we often miss in these tough times! Kudos to all of you who participated for reaffirming my faith in human kindness.



Above is a picture of some of the cards we donated to the Cancer Center at Duke Hospital in Durham, NC. The wonderful nurses and medical staff were very surprised when I entered the center with the overflowing box of handmade cards! But honestly, it was the look on the faces of those valiantly struggling with cancer which really meant the most to me! I wish you all could've seen the joy on the faces of the recipients of the cards. I still feel so wonderful at being able to be a part of that little moment of happiness, as should all of you who helped shine a light into what for some is a very dark place! I look forward to starting my next charity swap, and I hope you will all join me in brightening someone elses day again! Thanks again, because I'm blessed beyond words! Scrappy

PS: I will be going to the Duke Cancer Center at Raleigh, NC later next week, as I have recieved 54 more cards to donate to the hospital! Your outpouring of generosity has not abated, and on behalf of the recipients, I thank you all again!


2 comments:

  1. this is such a great idea! my cousin died from cancer a few years ago (he was only 6) so it hits close to home... next time u do this let me know so i can join in!! :) i might even try and organize something for the University of Iowa Hospitals since i live in Iowa! :)
    you're a sweetheart! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps i LOVE your playlist!! :)

    ReplyDelete